Birthdate - Aug. 2, 1962
* In 2002, posted the largest upset in Belmont Stakes victory when 70-1 Sarava defeated 10 opponents, including Triple Crown hopeful War Emblem and eventual Travers winner Medaglia d’Oro.
* After purchasing Tejano Run for $20,000 as a yearling in 1993, trained the colt to five graded stakes wins, plus placings in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, Kentucky Derby, Oaklawn Handicap, and Pimlico Special.
* As a bloodstock agent, purchased Curlin for $57,000 as a yearling. Curlin was sold privately following his 12 ¾-length debut victory for trainer Helen Pitts-Blasi and went on to retire as the richest horse in North American racing history after winning the Preakness, Breeders’ Cup Classic, and two editions of the Jockey Club Gold Cup.
* Discovered Brazilian runner Einstein and imported him to the United States. Einstein became a five-time Grade 1 winner in the U.S.
* Led the development of the Horse Races NOW app for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
NOTABLE STAKES WINS
Dream Empress: Alcibiades (2008)
Golden Ticket: Travers Stakes (2012)
Hard Buck: Gulfstream Park H. (2004)
Harlan’s Holiday: Blue Grass (2002); Florida Derby (2002)
Noble’s Promise: Breeders’ Futurity (2009)
Prince Arch: Gulfstream Park H. (2005); Saranac (2004)
Sarava: Belmont Stakes (2002)
Take Charge Lady: Spinster (2002-03); Ashland (2002)
Recent NYRA Statistics:
Gambling Problems? The New York Racing Association encourages responsible wagering.
If gambling is a problem for you or someone you care about, help is available 24 hours a day. Call toll-free 1-877-8-HOPE-NY
©2013 The New York Racing Association. All Rights Reserved.