Birthdate - Feb. 6, 1948
Website - www.zitoracing.com
Storm Song: Top 2-Year-Old Filly (1996)
War Pass: Top 2-Year-Old Colt (2007)
* Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2005.
* Won a second Belmont Stakes and ended a second Triple Crown bid in 2008 with Da’ Tara going wire-to-wire and upsetting Big Brown.
* Saddled 7-year-old Commentator to victory in the 2008 Grade 1 Whitney and the Mass ‘Cap.
* Birdstone won the two biggest races for 3-year-olds in New York in 2004 when he beat Triple Crown candidate Smarty Jones in the Belmont Stakes and won the Travers at Saratoga.
* Won the Kentucky Derby twice: with Strike the Gold in 1991 and Go for Gin in 1994.
* Won the 1996 Preakness Stakes with Louis Quatorze, snapping trainer D. Wayne Lukas’ Triple Crown winning streak at six.
* Won the Grade 1 Champagne four times: War Pass (2007); A P Valentine (2000); Greenwood Lake (1999), and The Groom is Red (1998).
* Started in horse racing as a teenager working for trainer Buddy Jacobson; later worked for Bob Lake, Johnny Campo, and LeRoy Jolley.
NOTABLE STAKES WINS
Adonis: Discovery (1999); Wood Memorial (1999)
Agincourt: Dwyer (1992); Futurity (1991)
Albert the Great: Suburban (2001); Brooklyn (2001); Dwyer (2000); Jockey Club Gold Cup (2000)
A P Valentine: Champagne (2000)
Bellamy Road: Wood Memorial (2005)
Birdstone: Travers (2004); Belmont (2004); Champagne (2003)
Bird Town: Acorn (2003); Kentucky Oaks (2003)
Chelsey Flower: Flower Bowl (1996); Sheepshead Bay (1996)
Commentator: Whitney (2005, 2008)
Da’ Tara: Belmont Stakes (2008)
Dialed In: Florida Derby (2011)
Diligence: Tom Fool (1997)
Doneraile Court: Jerome (1999); Nashua (1998)
Fly Down: Dwyer (2010)
Go for Gin: Kentucky Derby (1994); Remsen (1993)
Greenwood Lake: Remsen (1999); Champagne (1999)
Halory Hunter: Blue Grass (1998)
Ice Box: Florida Derby (2010)
In the Gold: Gazelle (2005)
Jackson Bend: Forego (2011)
Jade Flush: Rare Perfume (1994)
La Rosa: Demoiselle (1995)
Lady D’Accord: Bed o’Roses (1992-93); Yaddo (1990)
Louis Quatorze: Jim Dandy (1996); Preakness (1996)
Mayanesian: Sanford (1981)
Morning Line: Carter H. (2011)
Prospector’s Flag: Discovery (1993); Albany (1993)
Ride Sally: Distaff (1986); Top Flight (1986)
Schematic: Honorable Miss (1985)
Star Standard: Pimlico Special (1996)
Stephen Got Even: Donn (2000)
Strike the Gold: Pimlico Special (1992); Nassau County (1992); Kentucky Derby (1991)
Storm Song: Breeders’ Cup Fillies (1996); Frizette (1996); Adirondack (1996)
The Groom Is Red: Champagne (1998)
Thirty Six Red: Wood Memorial (1990); Gotham (1990)
Wanderin Boy: Brooklyn (2006)
Warfie: Long Island (1989)
War Pass: Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (2007), Champagne (2007)
Recent NYRA Statistics:
Gambling Problems? The New York Racing Association encourages responsible wagering.
If gambling is a problem for you or someone you care about, help is available 24 hours a day. Call toll-free 1-877-8-HOPE-NY
©2013 The New York Racing Association. All Rights Reserved.