Birthdate - Oct. 13, 1957
Website - contessaracing.com
* NYRA’s leading trainer from 2006-2009.
* In 2007 set a NYRA record with 159 victories, breaking mentor Frank Martin’s record of 156.
* 16 training titles at individual NYRA meets.
* Won the Ashland at Keeneland, his first Grade 1, with Do It With Style in 1991. The night before the race, Contessa decided to have jockey Shane Sellers ride without a whip.
* Worked with standardbreds at Roosevelt Raceway until 1972, then worked for Dave Sazer, James Picou and Frank Martin (1980-85).
* President, Exceller Fund.
NOTABLE STAKES WINS
Do It With Style: Ashland (1991)
Magnolia Jackson: Correction (2006-07); Broadway (2006); Bed o’ Roses (2006); Garland of Roses (2006)
Recent NYRA Statistics:
Gambling Problems? The New York Racing Association encourages responsible wagering.
If gambling is a problem for you or someone you care about, help is available 24 hours a day. Call toll-free 1-877-8-HOPE-NY
If gambling is a problem for you or someone you care about, help is available 24 hours a day. Call toll-free 1-877-8-HOPE-NY.
©2015 The New York Racing Association. All Rights Reserved.