Birthdate - Jan. 23, 1951
* Round Pond took the 2006 Breeders’ Cup Distaff, the first time Matz had started a horse in the Breeders’ Cup.
* Saddled Barbaro for a 6 ¼-length triumph in the Kentucky Derby, the largest margin of victory since 1946.
* Inducted into the United States Show Jumping Hall of Fame in 2005 after retiring as the leading American money earner in the sport’s history.
* As an equestrian, won eight Pan American Games medals, including five gold. Was part of the United States team that won gold for team jumping at the 1986 Show Jumping World Championships in Aachen.
* Rode on the United States Olympic Equestrian team in 1976, 1992, and 1996, earning a team silver medal the final year.
NOTABLE STAKES WINS
Barbaro: Kentucky Derby (2006); Florida Derby (2006)
Kicken Kris: Arlington Million (2004); Bowling Green H. (2004); Lawrence Realization H. (2003); Secretariat (2003)
Lady Dora: Pebbles H. (2000)
Round Pond: Breeders’ Cup Distaff (2006)
Saint Marden: Discovery H. (2002)
Union Rags: Champagne (2011), Saratoga Special (2011), Belmont Stakes (2012)
Recent NYRA Statistics:
Gambling Problems? The New York Racing Association encourages responsible wagering.
If gambling is a problem for you or someone you care about, help is available 24 hours a day. Call toll-free 1-877-8-HOPE-NY
If gambling is a problem for you or someone you care about, help is available 24 hours a day. Call toll-free 1-877-8-HOPE-NY.
©2015 The New York Racing Association. All Rights Reserved.