Birthdate - Nov. 18, 1965
Curlin: Horse of the Year (2007-08), Top Older Male (2008), Top 3-Year-Old Male (2007)
Kodiak Kowboy: Top Male Sprinter (2009)
My Miss Aurelia: Top 2-Year-Old Filly (2011)
Rachel Alexandra: Horse of the Year (2009), Top 3-Year-Old Filly (2009)
* Leading trainer by wins in 2007-2011 and 2005, 2004, and 2002.
* Won four races, including the Frizette with eventual Champion Two-Year-Old Filly My Miss Aurelia, on Oct. 8, 2011 at Belmont Park.
* Captured two Breeders’ Cup Races in 2011: the Juvenile Fillies with My Miss Aurelia and the Turf Sprint with Regally Ready.
* Became the fifth North American trainer to win 6,000 races when Basalt won the first race on Nov. 1, 2011 at Remington Park.
* 2008 and 2009 Eclipse Award winner as Outstanding Trainer.
* Leading trainer in money earned in 2008 and 2009.
* Trained the Horse of the Year for the third straight year in 2009, saddling 3-year-old filly Rachel Alexandra to victories in the Preakness, Mother Goose, Haskell, and Woodward.
* Father Keith, a former jockey, and mother Marilyn are trainers who run the El Primero Training Center in Laredo, Tex.; brother Cash won the 1979 Eclipse as Top Apprentice.
* Assistant Toby Sheets oversees Asmussen’s string at Belmont Park.
* Rode professionally for three years before retiring due to his size; began training in 1986.
NOTABLE STAKES WINS
Curlin: Jockey Club Gold Cup (2007-08); Woodward (2008); Stephen Foster (2008); Dubai World Cup (2008); Breeders’ Cup Classic (2007); Preakness (2007)
Haynesfield: Empire Classic (2011); Jockey Club Gold Cup (2010); Suburban (2010); Discovery (2009); Empire Classic (2009); Whirlaway (2009); Count Fleet (2009); Damon Runyon (2008)
Hot Dixie Chick: Spinaway (2009); Schuylerville (2009)
Kodiak Kowboy: Cigar Mile (2009); Vosburgh (2009); Saratoga Special (2007)
Majesticperfection: Alfred G. Vanderbilt (2010)
My Miss Aurelia: Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (2011); Frizette (2011); Adirondack (2011)
Rachel Alexandra: Woodward (2009); Haskell Inv. (2009); Mother Goose (2009); Preakness (2009)
Student Council: Pimlico Special (2008)
Recent NYRA Statistics:
Gambling Problems? The New York Racing Association encourages responsible wagering.
If gambling is a problem for you or someone you care about, help is available 24 hours a day. Call toll-free 1-877-8-HOPE-NY
©2016 The New York Racing Association. All Rights Reserved.