Saratoga Highlights: Fan Appreciation Week
by Pat McKenna, Mark Bardack
Wednesday, August 28 - Labor Day, Monday, September 2
WEEK 8 HIGHLIGHTS
• The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) will thank its fans with a series of special offers during Fan Appreciation Week at Saratoga Race Course. Fans will enjoy savings on reserved seats and reserved tables in the Fourstardave Sports Bar and Miller Lite Picnic Paddock, as well as numerous food and drink specials. For more information, visit NYRA.com/FanWeek.
• Fans will have another opportunity to take home a premium giveaway item during the Saratoga Giveaway Sale on Wednesday, August 28 and Thursday, August 29.
• NYRA will host a Dog Adoption Clinic on Friday, August 30 from noon to 4 p.m. in partnership with News 10 ABC and Pet Connection with Steve Caporizzo.
• Fans can enjoy a Southwestern-Style Labor Day Weekend BBQ in the all-new 1863 Club Friday, August 30 through Monday, September 2.
• Labor Day Weekend (August 31-September 2) will feature a special first post time of 12:30 p.m. and a total of seven graded stakes, including the Grade 1, $750,000 Woodward presented by NYRA Bets on Saturday, August 31.
• Fans on Sunday, September 1 will enjoy the final giveaway of the season - a Saratoga zip-up hoodie sweatshirt, presented by Lia Infiniti. Free with paid admission, while supplies last.
• Labor Day will mark a mandatory payout for the new Empire 6 in which the entire net pool plus jackpot amount will be distributed to those bettors selecting the greatest number of winners on Monday's card.
• Live racing resumes at Saratoga on Wednesday, August 28 with a 12:50 p.m. first post. The Empire 6 jackpot carryover is $367,918.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28
• With Anticipation: The day's feature is the Grade 3, $150,000 With Anticipation for 2-year-olds on the turf.
• Saratoga Giveaway Sale: Fans will have a second chance to secure a favorite track giveaway during day one of a premium giveaway sale at Saratoga Race Course. A selection of premium Saratoga giveaways from earlier this summer and from prior years will be available for purchase. The premium giveaway sale will begin when gates open at 11 a.m. in the backyard near the Big Red Spring. Items will range in price from $2 to $5. Giveaway items may be purchased with cash only and are based on availability, while supplies last. All sales are final.
• Italian & Irish American Day: Fans will enjoy the culture and traditions of both the Bel Pease and the Emerald Isle during Italian & Irish American Day. The festivities will feature Italian and Irish music, dance, entertainment, crafts and food from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Activities will include performances by Italian tenor Angelo Mazzone, Jr. and Irish band Drank the Gold, as well as traditional Irish and Italian folk dance from The Boland School of Irish Dance and Albany Dancesport Club. Italian food will be available for purchase in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion to benefit the Italian Heritage Association and Museum in Albany.
• NYRA Bets: NYRA Bets continues its $1 Million Single-Ticket Bonus for any NYRA Bets customer that hits the Late Pick 5 at Saratoga. Saratoga's Late Pick 5 is open to all horseplayers across North America, but the $1 million bonus is only eligible to NYRA Bets customers placing their bets through their NYRA Bets account. The Late Pick 5 features a low 15 percent takeout rate and 50 cent minimum. For additional information on the NYRA Late Pick 5 and eligibility details for the $1 million single-ticket bonus visit NYRABets.com. New NYRA Bets customers can earn a $200 bonus when they sign up with promo code SPA and bet $200 in the first 14 days.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 29
• P.G. Johnson: The day's feature is the $100,000 P.G. Johnson for 2-year-old fillies on the turf.
• Saratoga Giveaway Sale: The Saratoga premium giveaway sale will continue for a second day beginning at 11 a.m. in the backyard near the Big Red Spring. Items will range in price from $2 to $5. Giveaway items may be purchased with cash only and are based on availability, while supplies last. All sales are final.
• Taste NY: Wine & Spirits: Fans will have the opportunity to sample varietals of wine and spirits from New York State wineries and distilleries during this weekly event. Live music will accompany the tasting from noon to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. Guests will enjoy five samples for $5. Must be 21 years or older to participate.
• Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest: Thursday will include the Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest, which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar with early entrants receiving a special NYRA Bets promotional item.
• At the Post Live with Andy Serling: Join NYRA's Andy Serling as he talks with NYRA CEO & President Dave O'Rourke, trainers Chad Brown and Dale Romans and NYRA Director of TV Broadcast Operations Eric Donovan during At The Post Live with Andy Serling from The Parting Glass in downtown Saratoga Springs at 8 p.m. The show, which is presented by NYRA Bets, airs on ESPN Radio 104.5 FM "The Team" and features interviews with racing industry newsmakers discussing the Saratoga meet. At the Post Live can also be accessed via the Across the Board with Andy Serling podcast.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 30
• Lucky Coin: The day's feature race is the $100,000 Lucky Coin for 4-year-olds and up on the turf.
• Dog Adoption Clinic: NYRA will offer fans the opportunity to give an animal its fur-ever home during a Dog Adoption Clinic at Saratoga from noon to 4 p.m. The clinic, which is hosted in partnership with News 10 ABC and Pet Connection with Steve Caporizzo, will be held near the Big Red Spring in the backyard. NYRA will underwrite adoption fees for animals placed with a new family during the clinic. Only dogs will be available for adoption. Participating animal shelters and rescue groups include: Companion Animal Placement Program; German Shephard Rescue of NY; Greyt Companions; and the Saratoga County Animal Shelter.
• Southwestern-Style Labor Day BBQ: Fans are invited to enjoy a southwestern-style Labor Day Weekend BBQ while experiencing The Rail at the 1863 Club, the first-floor banquet space at the all-new 1863 Club. The event, hosted Friday, August 30 through Labor Day, Monday, September 2, is $85 per person. Reservations are available at Ticketmaster.com.
• Taste NY: Craft Beer & Cider: The Friday edition of the popular weekly tasting event will offer guests the opportunity to sample craft beers and ciders produced exclusively in New York State. Live music will accompany the tasting from noon to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. Guests will enjoy five samples for $5. Must be 21 years or older to participate.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 31 - POST TIME: 12:30 P.M.
• Woodward Day: The Spa will celebrate the final Saturday of the 2019 meet with four graded stakes. The Grade 1, $750,000 Woodward, presented by NYRA Bets, will headline the day's card and is accompanied by the Grade 2, $250,000 Glens Falls; the Grade 2, $250,000 Prioress; and the Grade 3, $200,000 Saranac. Saturday will feature a special first post time of 12:30 p.m. FS2 will have live coverage of all the racing action on Woodward Day beginning at 2:30 p.m. with Saratoga Live.
• Fashion Saturdays: Designed to showcase the tradition of style in thoroughbred racing, the weekly event will feature women's and men's fashion apparel from local retailers, as well as a selection of home décor and jewelry items. The event will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 1 - POST-TIME: 12:30 P.M.
• Spinaway: The day's feature is the Grade 1, $350,000 Spinaway for 2-year-old fillies. Saratoga Live will have full-card coverage on FS2 with a special first post at 12:30 p.m.
• Saratoga Zip-Up Hoodie Sweatshirt Giveaway: Fans will celebrate closing weekend with the final giveaway of the season - a Saratoga zip-up hoodie sweatshirt, presented by Lia Infiniti. The gray hooded, zip-up sweatshirt adorned with the red Saratoga logo will be available free with paid admission, while supplies last.
• Berkshire Bank Family Adventure Sundays: The popular kid-oriented weekly event will feature a wide variety of free family-friendly activities, games, attractions and educational activities from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. The theme for this week's event is "Under the Sea," featuring a sand art station, goldfish racing and mermaid cutouts.
• Family 4-Pack Reserved Seat Package: Families can take advantage of a Family 4-Pack, which includes four grandstand reserved seats, four hot dogs and four sodas for $84. The package is available for purchase through the NYRA Box Office or by calling 1-844-NYRA-TIX.
• Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest: Sunday will include the Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest, which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar with early entrants receiving a special NYRA Bets promotional item.
LABOR DAY, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 2 - POST-TIME: 12:30 P.M.
• Runhappy Hopeful: The traditional final feature, the 115th running of the Grade 1, $350,000 Runhappy Hopeful for 2-year-olds, will afford fans a preview of potential standouts in next year's Runhappy Travers. The day's card will also feature the Grade 2, $250,000 Bernard Baruch Handicap. Saratoga Live will have coverage of all the racing action beginning at 1 p.m. on FS2.
• Breakfast at Saratoga, presented by CDTA: Fans are welcome to enjoy the final Breakfast at Saratoga in addition to free tram tours of the backstretch. Tram tours run from 7:30 to 9 a.m. and depart from the Clubhouse entrance approximately every 15 minutes. Tours are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are 45 minutes in length.
• Empire 6 Mandatory Payout: Closing Day will mark a mandatory payout for the new Empire 6 in which the entire net pool plus the jackpot carryover (if applicable) will be distributed to those selecting the greatest number of winners on Monday's card. The Empire 6 features a $0.20 bet minimum and has provided horseplayers with consistently large payouts since it was added to the wagering menu this summer. The Empire 6 has paid out five figure totals on three days since being introduced, including $37,064 on August 21; $25,145 on August 14 and $12,547 on August 18.
For more information about upcoming special events at Saratoga Race Course, visit https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/tickets/events.
All events and activities are subject to change at the discretion of NYRA.