What's Happening Week 4 at 2017 Saratoga Race Course
by Pat McKenna; Mark Bardack
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 9
- Quick Call: The day's feature race is the $100,000 Quick Call for 3-year-olds on the turf.
- BrewCentralNY.com Day: The New York Racing Association, Inc. will celebrate the renaissance of craft beverages in Central New York during BrewCentralNY.com Day at Saratoga Race Course. The event will take place at the Berkshire Bank Saratoga Pavilion from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The day will feature activities, exhibits and entertainment which showcase the tradition of craft beer, hard cider, spirits and wine in Central New York. Information will also be available about the craft beverage trails in the region. Craft beer, wines, ciders and spirits from Central New York producers will be available in increments of five samples for $5. Guests must be at least 21 years old and show proper identification to participate in the tasting.
- Saratoga Challenge: The first in a pair of one-day live money challenges will guarantee a minimum first place payout of $10,000, as well as awarding entries to the 2018 Belmont Stakes Challenge (1) and the National Handicapping Championship (2) to the top three finishers, based on selection by order of finish. Both challenges will consist of wagering exclusively on Saratoga races through the following pools only: Win, Place, Show, Exacta, Quinella and Trifecta. Registration for the challenges is closed. The second one-day challenge will occur on Thursday, August 10.
- NYRA Bets Late Pick 5: The NYRA Bets Late Pick 5 is available exclusively to NYRA Bets members across the country and to bettors in New York wagering on-track or through a simulcast facility. The popular multi-race wager covers the last five races of every card of live racing at Saratoga - and features the same 15 percent takeout rate and $0.50 bet minimum as the existing early pick 5. The NYRA Bets Late Pick 5 features a minimum single-ticket payout of $150,000 daily and $300,000 on Saturdays. The single-ticket payout is available only to NYRA Bets customers online and on-track betting with a NYRA Bets account. Fans who sign-up for a NYRA Bets account at NYRA Bets.com will earn a $200 sign-up bonus.
- NYRA XP: Fans are welcome to download NYRA XP, the new app which enables guests to personalize and enhance their on-track experience through their mobile device. Fans who download NYRA XP will be able to learn about upcoming events, purchase tickets, find their seat location, wager through NYRA Bets, live stream races and customize their viewing experience from various camera locations. A new release of the app provides fans with even more features, including the ability to pin their car location. NYRA XP is available for free download in iOS (Apple) and Android (Google Play) stores.
- Breakfast at Saratoga, presented by B95.5 FM Breakfast Club: Fans are invited to enjoy breakfast on The Porch of the clubhouse while the thoroughbreds train on the main track. Breakfast is held from 7 to 9:30 a.m. and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. The morning buffet is $18.50 for adults and $10.25 for kids. Mornings at Saratoga also welcome fans to go behind the scenes with a free, guided backstretch tram tour. Tram tours begin at 7:30 a.m. and depart from the clubhouse entrance approximately every 15 minutes through 9 a.m. Tours are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are 45 minutes in length. Breakfast and tours are available daily, except Travers Day, Saturday, August 26.
- Community Outreach Booth: The Community Outreach Booth will host the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, the largest equine sanctuary in the world, devoted to the rescue, retirement, rehabilitation and retraining of thoroughbred horses.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 10
- NYSS Statue of Liberty: The day's feature race is the $100,000 NYSS Statue of Liberty for 3-year-old fillies on the turf.
- Fabulous Fillies Day: NYRA will celebrate women and their contributions to the thoroughbred industry while raising funds to support The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) during Fabulous Fillies Day.Fans are encouraged to wear pink to show their support for breast cancer awareness. Guests will have the opportunity to make monetary donations to the BCRF at numerous areas throughout the track during the day. As a new element to this year's Fabulous Fillies Day festivities, fans will be invited to participate in the "Best in Pink" fashion contest. Fans are encouraged to wear their most fashionable outfit - prominently featuring pink, the day's signature hue - for the chance to win a special prize package valued at approximately $2,000. Stylish fans can enter to win by having their photo taken at the Jockey Silks Room Porch from 1 to 3 p.m. One woman and one man will be selected as the contest winners by a panel of judges. The winner will be announced at 3:15 p.m. at the Jockey Silks Room Porch. The day will also feature the annual Sizzling Hot Pink Saratoga Hat Luncheon, presented by vineyard vines, in the At the Rail Pavilion. Guests will enjoy a champagne reception hosted by Moet & Chandon and a vineyard vines boutique beginning at 11 a.m. A portion of proceeds from boutique sales will be donated to BCRF through Play for P.I.N.K.This year's luncheon is in honor of Sheila Rosenblum, owner of Lady Sheila Stable. A limited number of tickets are currently available for the luncheon. Tickets are $200 and available for purchase at www.playforpink.org/saratoga.
- Taste NY: Cider, Wine & Spirits: Taste NY: Cider, Wine & Spirits offers guests a selection of cider, wine and spirits available for sampling each Thursday of the meet in partnership with the New York Department of Agriculture and Markets. Fans will be able to select five samples for $5 at the Berkshire Bank Saratoga Pavilion from noon to 5 p.m.
- Community Outreach Booth: The Community Outreach Booth will host Floyd Warriors, an organization dedicated to supporting and inspiring individuals and families of the Capital Region who have been recently diagnosed with cancer.
- Tequila & Taco Thursdays: Each Thursday of the season, guests will enjoy specials on margaritas and tacos at The Post, as well as live flamenco guitar performances following the day's final race.
- "At the Post Live: Serling on Saratoga": NYRA TV broadcast analyst and nationally recognized thoroughbred racing personality Andy Serling hosts this live broadcast on ESPN Radio 104.5 "The Team" at The Parting Glass in downtown Saratoga Springs from 8 to 9 p.m.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 11
- Tale of the Cat: Saratoga's feature race is the $100,000 Tale of the Cat for sprinters 3-year-olds and up.
- Taste NY: Craft Beer: This weekly event offers guests a selection of New York craft beers available for sampling in partnership with the New York Department of Agriculture and Markets. Fans will be able to sample five craft beers for $5 at the Berkshire Bank Saratoga Pavilion from noon to 5 p.m.
- Community Outreach Booth: The Community Outreach Booth will host Saratoga Bridges, one of the largest non-profit organizations in Saratoga County, which provides educational, personal and social opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Woodford Reserve Fridays at The Post: Racing fans are invited to continue their day at Saratoga with Woodford Reserve Fridays at The Post, the lively bar and entertainment spot located adjacent to the paddock. Each Friday of the meet will feature a DJ and dancing, cocktail samplings and trivia at The Post following the day's final race.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 12
- Fourstardave Handicap and Adirondack Stakes: The day's feature race is the Grade 1, $500,000 Fourstardave Handicap for 3-year-olds and up at a mile on the turf. The day's card will also include the Grade 2, $200,000 Adirondack for 2-year-old fillies.
- Taste NY: Food and Artisans NOW FEATURING CRAFT BEER TASTINGS: Saturday will feature Taste NY: Food, Artisans and craft beer, a lively on-track market where guests can sample and shop food and crafts, and now enjoy craft beer tastings from numerous regional breweries (five samples for $5) in the Berkshire Bank Saratoga Pavilion from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The events will be complemented by handicapping tutorials and racing tips from the Bets Squad, as well as the opportunity to learn more about NYRA Bets and the all-new mobile app for Saratoga, NYRA XP.
- Ketel One Party at The Post: The fun will continue each Saturday of the season with the Ketel One Party at The Post. Saturday evenings at Saratoga will feature music from a DJ following the day's final race, cocktail samplings and giveaways.
- Community Outreach Booth: The Community Outreach Booth will host the Saratoga Springs Figure Skating Club, one of the largest skating clubs in the Capital Region which has been promoting the sport recreationally and competitively for more than 30 years.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 13
- Saratoga Special: The day's feature race is the Grade 2, $200,000 Saratoga Special, presented by Coors Light, for 2-year-olds.
- Taste NY: Food and Artisans: The Sunday edition of the market will invite guests to sample and shop food and crafts in the Berkshire Bank Saratoga Pavilion from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Low Roller Challenge: Sunday will include the Low Roller Challenge which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar.
- Community Outreach Booth: The Community Outreach Booth will host The Joseph Ahmed Foundation, a non-profit organization with the mission to promote the treatment and cure of Ewing's Sarcoma and other sarcomas by funding research, promoting the development of treatments, developing awareness, and providing support for patients and their loved ones.
MONDAY, AUGUST 14
- Saratoga Dew (NYB): The day's feature is for 3-year-old and up New York-bred fillies and mares for a purse of $100,000.
- Berkshire Bank Family Mondays: Monday will be highlighted by Berkshire Bank Family Mondays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Berkshire Bank Saratoga Pavilion. All kid-friendly games and activities, including the opportunity to pet a retired thoroughbred, are free of charge.
- Low Roller Challenge: Monday will include the continuation of the Low Roller Challenge which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar.
- Community Outreach Booth: The Community Outreach Booth will host the Shenendehowa Nordic Club, a membership organization that promotes cross country skiing in southern Saratoga County.
All events and activities are subject to change at the discretion of the New York Racing Association.