Saratoga Race Course Week 6 Highlights
by Pat McKenna/Mark Bardack
Wednesday, August 14 – Sunday, August 18
WEEK 6 HIGHLIGHTS
- Tickets on-sale for the 150th Runhappy Travers. Fans who buy in advance will save on admission. General admission tickets are $10 when purchased in advance and $15 on Travers Day, Saturday, August 24. Advance tickets are available in-person at the NYRA Box Office or online at NYRA.com/Travers.
- The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) will shine a spotlight on one of its neighboring tourist destinations during Adirondacks Day on Wednesday, August 14.
- The Grade 1, $600,000 Alabama, presented by NYRA Bets, will be run on Saturday, August 17, featuring the nation’s top 3-year-old fillies. Saratoga Live will have wire to wire coverage on FS2 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- NYRA will celebrate the legacy of trainer Dominic Galluscio by raising funds and awareness for pancreatic cancer research on Lustgarten Foundation Day on Sunday, August 18.
- One of two mandatory payout days for the new Empire 6 wager will occur on Sunday, August 18.
- Live racing resumes at Saratoga on Wednesday, August 14 with a 12:50 p.m. first post. The Empire 6 jackpot carryover is $212,494.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 14
- Bolton Landing: The day’s feature is the $100,000 Bolton Landing for 2-year-old fillies on turf.
- Adirondacks Day: NYRA will celebrate one of New York’s most majestic mountain regions during Adirondacks Day, presented by the Adirondack Regional Tourism Council. The event will take place at the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Guests will have the opportunity to experience Adirondack life with a variety of activities, including basket weaving, wood carving, colonial shoemaking and tailoring, and balsam bag assembly. The event will also include a craft beer tasting with several regional breweries, including Adirondack Brewery; Lake Placid Brewery; and Oval Craft Brewing. Samples of fresh local farm food will be provided by Adirondack Harvest; Hidden Hollow Maple Farm; Nettle Meadow Farm; Rulfs Orchard and The Wild Center. Additionally, Great Camp Sagamore will offer s’mores samples.
- Travers Window Decorating Contest: Dozens of downtown shops and businesses will debut their racing-themed storefront displays as part of the 150th Runhappy Travers window-decorating contest, held in partnership with the Saratoga Springs Downtown Business Association (DBA). Local business owners will decorate their storefronts in a racing theme in honor of the milestone edition of the summer’s marquee race. Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges from NYRA, the Saratoga Springs DBA and the Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce. The top three window displays will receive special recognition during the Travers post-position draw on Tuesday, August 20. Fans also have an opportunity to win a pair of Clubhouse reserved seats for the 150th Runhappy Travers by completing the enter-to-win form located at each merchant participating in the window decorating contest. Entries will be accepted through Monday, August 19.
- NYRA Bets: NYRA Bets continues its $1 Million Single-Ticket Bonus for any NYRA Bets customer that hits the Late Pick 5 at Saratoga. Saratoga's Late Pick 5 is open to all horseplayers across North America, but the $1 million bonus is only eligible to NYRA Bets customers placing their bets through their NYRA Bets account. The Late Pick 5, featuring a low 15 percent takeout rate and 50 cent minimum, will be offered on every card at Saratoga Race Course. For additional information on the NYRA Late Pick 5 and eligibility details for the $1 million single-ticket bonus visit NYRABets.com. New NYRA Bets customers can earn a $200 bonus when they sign up with promo code SPA and bet $200 in the first 14 days.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 15
- Union Avenue: The day’s feature is the $100,000 Union Avenue for New York-bred fillies and mares.
- Taste NY: Wine & Spirits: Fans will have the opportunity to sample varietals of wine and spirits from New York State wineries and distilleries during this weekly event. Live music will accompany the tasting each Thursday from noon to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. Guests will enjoy five samples for $5. Must be 21 years or older to participate.
- Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest: Every Thursday will include the Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest, which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar with early entrants receiving a special NYRA Bets promotional item.
- At the Post Live with Andy Serling: Join NYRA's Andy Serling as he talks with HRRN racing analyst Anthony Stabile and jockey Joel Rosario, amongst others, during At The Post Live with Andy Serling from The Parting Glass in downtown Saratoga Springs at 8 p.m. The show, which is presented by NYRA Bets, airs on ESPN Radio 104.5 FM "The Team" and features interviews with racing industry newsmakers discussing the Saratoga meet. At the Post Live can also be accessed via the Across the Board with Andy Serling podcast.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 16
- Skidmore: The afternoon will feature the $100,000 Skidmore for 2-year-olds on turf.
- Taste NY: Craft Beer & Cider: The Friday edition of the popular weekly tasting event will offer guests the opportunity to sample craft beers and ciders produced exclusively in New York State. Live music will accompany the tasting each Friday from noon to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. Guests will enjoy five samples for $5. Must be 21 years or older to participate.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 17
- Alabama Day: The nation's top 3-year-old fillies will compete in the Grade 1, $600,000 Alabama presented by NYRA Bets. The day's card also includes the Grade 2, $200,000 Lake Placid for 3-year-old fillies on the turf and the $100,000 Smart N Fancy for turf fillies and mares. Saratoga Live will have full-card coverage beginning at 1 p.m. on FS2.
- Fashion Saturdays: Designed to showcase the tradition of style in thoroughbred racing, the weekly event will feature women's and men's fashion apparel from local retailers, as well as a selection of home décor and jewelry items. The event will be held each Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 18
- Summer Colony: The day’s feature is the $100,000 Summer Colony for fillies and mares.
- Lustgarten Foundation Day: Saratoga will honor the legacy of trainer Dominic Galluscio with a day to benefit The Lustgarten Foundation, a non-profit organization whose mission is to advance scientific and medical research related to pancreatic cancer. The day will include a trainer autograph session at the Jockey Silks Room Porch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The first 200 fans will receive a limited-edition poster and Saratoga hat with a donation to The Lustgarten Foundation.
- Empire 6 Mandatory Payout: Sunday, August 18 will mark one of two mandatory payout days for the new Empire 6 in which the entire net pool will be paid out to bettors. The Empire 6 is a jackpot-style multi-race wager featuring a $0.20 bet minimum and 20 percent takeout. The wager requires the bettor to select the first-place finisher of the final six races of the card. If one unique ticket exists, then 100% of the net pool, plus the jackpot carryover if applicable, is paid to the winner. If there is no unique wager selecting the first-place finisher in all six races, then 75% of the day's net pool is distributed to those who selected the first-place finisher in the greatest number of races. The remainder is added into the jackpot and carried to the next day's Empire 6 with the exception of the two mandatory payout days on August 18 and Monday, September 2, closing day at Saratoga.
- Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest: Every Sunday will include the Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest, which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar with early entrants receiving a special NYRA Bets promotional item.
- Berkshire Bank Family Adventure Sundays: The popular kid-oriented weekly event will feature a wide variety of free family-friendly activities, games, attractions and educational activities each Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. The theme for this week’s event is “Candy Carnival,” featuring a Candyland-themed bounce house, circus performer and fun house mirrors.
For more information about upcoming special events at Saratoga Race Course, visit https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/tickets/events.
All events and activities are subject to change at the discretion of NYRA.